Professor of History
D. Phil (Oxford University, UK)
BOOKS / MONOGRAPHS
- The Aesthetics of the Popular Print: Lithographs and Oleographs
from 19th and 20th Century India, Birla
Academy of Art and Culture, Calcutta, 2006.
- Monuments, Objects, Histories: Institutions of Art in Colonial
and Postcolonial India, Columbia University Press, New York and
Permanent Black, New Delhi, 2004.
- Visual Worlds of Modern Bengal: An introduction to the pictorial
and photographic material in the documentation archive of the
Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta, Seagull and
CSSSC, Calcutta, 2002.
- Representing the Bengali Modern: Dharmanarayan Dasgupta,
Calcutta, Galerie 88, 2000.
- In Her Own Right: Remembering the Artist, Karuna Shaha,
Seagull, Calcutta, 2001.
- The Making of a New ‘Indian’ Art: Artists,
Aesthetics and Nationalism in Bengal, c.1850–1920,
Cambridge University Press, South Asian Series, 1992.
Few recent articles
- “Lineages of the Modern in Indian Art: The Making of a
National History”, in Kamala Ganesh and Usha Thakkar, ed.
Culture and the making of Identity in Contemporary India, New
Delhi, Sage, 2005.
- “From Spectacle to ‘Art’: The Changing
Aesthetics of Durga Puja in Contemporary Calcutta”, Art
India, Vol. 1X, Issue iii, Quarter iii, 2004.
- “The Period of Colonialism and Nationalism”,
chapter in Frederick Asher, ed., The Art of India: Prehistory to
the Present, Encyclopadea Brittanica, 2003, pp. 109–128.
- “What Makes for the ‘Authentic’ Female Nude in
Indian Art?”, in Shivaji K. Panikkar, Parul Dave Mukherji
and Deepta Achar, ed., Towards a New Art History: Studies in
Indian Art, D.K. Printworld, New Delhi, 2003.
- “The Monument as Image: The Compulsions of Visual
Representation in Colonial India”, in Maria Antonella
Pelizzari, ed., Traces of India: Architecture, Photography and
the Politics of Representation, Montreal, Canadian Centre for
Architecture, and Ahmedabad, Mapin, 2003.
- “The Endangered Yakshi: Careers of An Ancient Art Object
in Modern India”, in Partha Chatterjee and Anjan Ghosh,
ed., History and the Present, Permanent Black, New Delhi, 2002.