The Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta, established in February 1973, is a premier social science research institute in India under the Indian Council for Social Science Research (ICSSR) and functions on the basis of the following objectives:
- To undertake, aid, promote and co-ordinate research in social sciences, with special emphasis on the problems of the eastern region and West Bengal.
- To provide academic and professional guidance to agencies, institutions and personnel engaged in research in social sciences.
- To offer, on request, consultancy services to the Government of India, the Government of West Bengal and other State Governments and Union Territory Administrations, universities, colleges and other educational institutions and organizations in business, industry or trade.
- To act as a clearing house of ideas and information or research in social sciences, with special emphasis on the problems of eastern region in general and West Bengal in particular, and to maintain a data bank on the eastern region or West Bengal or any aspect of national life.
- To collaborate with other agencies, institutions and organizations, including universities, colleges, management institutes and other institutes in India and abroad, in such manner as may be necessary for the promotion of the objective of the Centre.
- To offer fellowships and scholarships as and when applicable in furtherance of research in social sciences.
- To provide programmes of advanced training to teachers in universities and colleges with a view to improving the quality of teaching and research in social sciences.
- To develop close working relations in teaching and research in social sciences with universities and colleges, especially with those in the eastern region and in West Bengal.
- To prepare, print and publish papers, periodicals and books in furtherance of the objectives of the Centre and the promotion of social science research.
- To secure and accept, endowments, grants–in–aid, donations or gifts on mutually agreed terms and conditions.
- To acquire by gift, purchase, lease or otherwise any property, movable or immovable, which may be necessary or convenient for the purpose of the Centre and to construct, alter and maintain any building or buildings for the purpose of the Centre.
- Generally to undertake all such activities and programmes as may assist in promoting research in social sciences in India, especially in the eastern region and West Bengal.